Questions & Answers

Reconnect to Webinar

Reconnect to Webinar

by weiqing zhang -
Number of replies: 3

Hi Dave,

I met a technique problem in this morning’s talk. Just before the talk started, somehow my computer was down. When the computer was rebooted, I tried to connect to the Webinar again by click the link in the invitation email. Then I was asked to register again. After I entered the name and email address, I was told someone had already used the same user name and Id. Later I tried other links in the confirmation and reminder email. Finally I got connected to the Webinar after 15 minutes talk. I could remember which one got me connected. My question is what the correct way to reconnect to the Webinar if this happened again (hopefully not)?

Thanks a lot.

Weiqing

In reply to weiqing zhang

Re: Reconnect to Webinar

by David Ball -
I'm not sure. I enter the webinar's in a completely different way. I do know that Michel Bisson had a similar situation arise during the first presentation. Mich, could you answer Weiqing's question?
In reply to weiqing zhang

Re: Reconnect to Webinar

by Ka Hing Yau -
I had similar experience before. My resolution: just enter a different email address!
In reply to weiqing zhang

Re: Reconnect to Webinar

by Michel Bisson -

Hi Weiqing,

I had a similar problem at the beginning of the sessions, which I got around by using a different e-mail address. I haven't had the problem again.  I was told by the webmaster that Webinar does not store cookies, so that would not be an issue if you log on with a different computer.

Michel Bisson