Questions & Answers

Phil´s Cold Front presentation

Phil´s Cold Front presentation

by Birgitte Knudsen -
Number of replies: 2

I am going through Phil´s Cold Front presentation once more. I thought I had got control of understanding all the stuff with backing/veering zero lines and associated cold and warm advections, but suddenly I found something that won´t fit in - at least not in my mind.

It is at slide no. 6 in the Cold Front presentation: At the doppler 1.5 PPI the backing and veering parts of the zero line is depicted. I understand that in the PBL the wind is backing and therefore cold advection is present. It is the explanation to the next part of the zero line towards the northwest, that I don´t understand. It is said "Strong Cold Advection - beam likely under frontal surface to here". As we have learned cold advection imply backing winds with height - but I can only interpret this segment of the zero line as veering with height, so shouldn´t it be warm advection? Am I right? Or else, please someone help me get my interpreting mind on track again.

In reply to Birgitte Knudsen

Re: Phil´s Cold Front presentation

by Birgitte Knudsen -

AHA !!!

I got it myself! I had forgotten that it is about "the angle subtended by the isodop" that indicates the type of advection. That angle is of course backing with height, so yes it is cold advection. I got this reminder at slide 30 - admitted: I had to split Phil´s presentation up over more days smile

In reply to Birgitte Knudsen

Re: Phil´s Cold Front presentation

by Phil Chadwick -

Good for you Birgitte ... at first glance, I had wondered whether I had blundered. As I may have mentioned, I have a tendency to be dyslexic (Is there really a Dog?). As a result, sometimes errors creep in even though I am really, really careful.

This is complicated stuff but with practice, it will come easier and it is actually fun! We will do both in Edmonton (practice and fun).

I have been trying to get to my Self-Funded Leave. I will post/blog a first image of a portrait that I am working on.