Information Forum

Implementing a Game in an in-person course

Implementing a Game in an in-person course

by Tsvetomir Ross-Lazarov -
Number of replies: 5

Greetings everyone!  I hope that you are well and your work is progressing nicely!

After our fun game session during last year’s CALMET, I had the chance to work on a learning game for an in-person course at COMET.  My colleagues and I created a risk management game during a course about winter weather forecasting.  The main goals of the game were to:

• Select an EPS product that will provide useful information depending on the expected winter event
  • Interpret the EPS product guidance correctly and make a decision based on it
  • Experience the pressures of emergency management decision-making

The participants took the role of an emergency manager preparing cities for several winter weather events.  After a brief synopsis of the weather situation, the participants reviewed probabilistic model guidance (ECMWF probabilistic guidance featured prominently Anna!) and recorded the amount of snow, their confidence in the amount, and the level of preparation they will initiate in the city.

The participants had to carefully balance the level of preparation against the public confidence in their decisions.  For example, if the participants prepared the city at the highest level but little snow occurred, the public confidence in their abilities would lower.  

The course participants enjoyed the game very much:

• 100% of the 13 respondents to the survey thought that the game was excellent/good.
  • 100% thought that it was effective for learning.

Their comments indicated that they learned a great deal about interpreting EPS guidance, risk management and the pressures of emergency managers.  Several mentioned that the game gave them an appreciation of what happens with the information that forecasters provide to emergency managers.

Cheers,

Tsvet

In reply to Tsvetomir Ross-Lazarov

Re: Implementing a Game in an in-person course

by Patrick Parrish -

Hi Tsvet,

Thanks for sharing this thorough description of you game implementation. It sounds like it was very successful! It is great you were able to pull it off. Are you willing to share the resources for the game with others so they can see how you did it?

And thanks for keeping the forum alive.

Patrick

In reply to Patrick Parrish

Hi Patrick,

Brad and I are planning to share more about the game during the CALMET's 2016 Gamification session.

Cheers,

Tsvet

by Ivan Smiljanic -

Hi Cvet,

I am happy with your experiment. Sounds tempting to copy it, if you dont mind I will try to consider that in the future events.

Specially I like the part where one needs to keep in mind the factor of public confidence, some psychology factor that we (forecasters) should always keep in mind.

Thanks for sharing,

Ivan

PS. 100% of positive responses sounds fishy. Only kidding :)

In reply to Ivan Smiljanic

Hi Ivan,

You are welcome to use the game idea under two conditions:  

• first, please share with us all on the forum what you have learned about implementing the game
  • second, please indicate to your participants that the game is based on a game by the COMET Program.

I’d like to suggest that you have the participants work in teams of two.  It will help people unfamiliar with probabilistic guidance to learn more about it.  Also, if you can, find at least three cases of snow accumulation - high, medium and low (or no accumulation).  If you use it for other types of weather, look for high, medium and low examples of those.  This means that the game will have three rounds.

Brad and I will share more about the game during CALMET 2016’s Gamification session.  So please sign up!

Cheers,

Tsvet

by Asalu Amos -

Hi Tsvet,

Thanks for the experiment which appears successful.  What I can say a game in an in-person course is very interesting and engaging and can be applied in most forms of learning. Since it takes care of public confidence there is no doubt in it. This is a value of learning! I seem to see that its principles may be vital for the  preparations of an assessor! Do not  you think? Will be grateful to learn more about this course.

Cheers Amos