Questions & Answers

Recordings??

Recordings??

by David Ball -
Number of replies: 11
Hi guys,

I've run into a small snag with regard to getting the recordings onto the website. They play natively on my PC as you might expect, but when I attempt to publish them to the course website they do not stream. This is a problem, because some of the files are truly huge. Paul's session from late yesterday was 72 MB and the early version was 125 MB. That's too much to expect you to download, so I'm attempting to find a fix. It looks like it's a Microsoft issue - big surprise there - but I have a few ideas about how to get around the issue, but it may take a day or so. Your patience is appreciated.
In reply to David Ball

Re: Recordings??

by David Ball -
OK, folks. I've placed a mp4 file under the Radar Introduction banner. Could some of you test it out and see if you can view it? I tried it on my Mac at home and had no problem, but need to see if there are other issues that need to be dealt with. I'm not sure that it's going to be THE solution, but it seems to be A solution. Don't worry about the watermark on the file. If it works, all I have to do is buy a $29 upgrade, but I want to ensure that it works before I spend the money (cheap meteorologist )
In reply to David Ball

Re: Recordings??

by Birgitte Knudsen -

I have just tested the recording and it works fine. The only - very small - comment is that the text and figures are not 100% sharp outlined, though it is easily enough to read. Will maybe only be challenging if some figures include very small and important text.

So, this seems to be a solution for the recordings.

In reply to Birgitte Knudsen

Re: Recordings??

by David Ball -
I hope to clear that issue of it not being sharp by downloading the full-featured application, Birgitte. I used a test application that places a watermark on all the slides, hence some of the fuzziness. I really need to find a way to publish the Go To Webinar recordings directly to the website, but that may take a day or so.
In reply to David Ball

Re: Recordings??

by David Ball -
Could someone have a look at the recording for the first presentation that I posted and assess it's clarity, etc? I found a different way to handle the recordings, but I want to make sure that you all find it acceptable.

I think I'm going to have to split the recordings for future lectures, including Paul Ford's, into two parts. Paul's presentation ran to about 75 MB and I've got this 100 MB limit on uploads to the website. That was as a wmv file. Other formats, and I'm thinking of mp4, will nearly double the file size, which is something I never considered.
In reply to David Ball

Re: Recordings??

by Julie Deshaies -

Hi Dave,

The first presentation (mp4) is very clear but as you said, the mp4 version is much larger than the wmv version you posted right after the first presentation.

In reply to David Ball

Re: Recordings??

by Paul Ford -

Dave

The .mp4 file works well. I had to have the QuickTime player installed on my PC to view it.

Cheers

Paul

In reply to David Ball

Re: Recordings??

by Birgitte Knudsen -

I have just played the whole recording of Paul Fords lecture on Scanning Strategies and Basic Products. The first of the three recordings went fine. Then things came out of phase from somewhere in the second part of the recording and continued throughout the third recording. It happened at slide no. 52: the slides were to slow to shift, so the talking were way ahead of the slides. It was only possible to follow the presentation with printed slides next to me. It causes difficulties as I could not see Paul pointing with the mouse on the right slide.

I haven´t yet tried with the nest recorded lecture. I will do another day.

In reply to Birgitte Knudsen

Re: Recordings??

by David Ball -
Hi Birgitte,

I've decided to put the recordings in a single file on the website. I've been trying to split the videos and it's simply not working. Giving you guys three 50 MB file with postage stamp graphics is not as good as a single 80 MB file will the same resolution as Paul's screen. Let me know if this works better.

In reply to David Ball

Re: Recordings??

by Birgitte Knudsen -

Hi Dave,

I have just shortly tested it. The second recorded lecture by Michael Leduc seems to work fine. Though not the case with the recorded one with Paul Ford. My Media Player starts up fine and the time bar is running, indicating that the recording is played - though I hear no sound and the screen is black.

In reply to David Ball

Re: Recordings??

by Julie Deshaies -

Hi Dave,

I just watch Paul's and Mike's presentation (single file) and somewhere around 19 min for Paul's and around 5 min for Mike's, it becomes out of phase. It's very hard to follow after that.